Wednesday, October 19




Al Green and the Scream heard throughout Soulville

Owwwch... I remember it vividly, sort of like it was yesterday. My mother and the lady next door, little Geraldine Wiggins, were practically hysterical:

Today in 1974: Al Green's ex-girlfriend Mary Woodson pours a pot of boiling grits on the soul singer in the bathroom of his Memphis home. She then shoots herself. Green suffered second-degree burns on his back, neck, and arms, and later underwent a religious conversion.
We love you Al Green.My mother's Al Green album already had an important scratch on it -- which to this day my mind flashes back to whenever I hear Look What You Done For Me: "The only thang/the only thang/the only thang/etc." But after the grits gewgob, my mother's heart seemed to grow quite heavy whenever she played that old record. Which was all the time. "There's old grits," she'd say sorrowfully, as if feeling the scalding personally.

I recently learned that Rev. Al became a minister as a direct result of the legendary grits incident, and that to this day, he doesn't like talking about that night. I just hope he never meets my mother... Then he'd know exactly how I feel sometimes: Owwwch... you're gonna bring that up again??


Clicks to Miles Davis catalog, but explore as you like

5 Comments:

Blogger Berry said...

Great post...I bet he also finds it hard to eat grits now too.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Viqi French said...

yep, isn't that unthinkable? i make a mean shrimp 'n grits in wine sauce. guess rev. al wouldn't enjoy dinner at my house.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Ms. B said...

Men need to learn...you don't piss off the woman who feeds you!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lili said...

shrimp n grits and wine sauce?? Sounds yummy! Grits are a Saturday and Sunday morning staple in our house...and although he isn't a staple he is in the rotation to be played on those mornings. Now I have something else to smile about while cooking...

11:22 AM  
Blogger Viqi French said...

ms. b,
now you haven't been serving your bad man hot grits, have you (on top of his head!). but you're right: folks need to stop picking on people, 'cause they're likely to snap-out and grit yo' azz. lol

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home