Sunday, October 30




The Boondocks: Public Enemy meets Cartoon Network

Okay I confess: I love the Cartoon Network's late-night Adult Swim programming and am beside myself with anticipation for The Boondocks. It premiers Nov. 6 and must be the most eagerly awaited show since Everybody Hates Chris -- only this'll be oh, so deep. What can I say? It's the conspiracy theorist in me coupled with a love of anything art.

So when cartoonist Aaron McGruder combines these two favorite pastimes and animates them for one of the edgiest networks around, I have no doubt that America is in for some dopalicious political truths. It'll sort of be like having Dave Chappelle's Show back, combined with the social messaging of old Bugs Bunny. Except Riley and Huey ain't as covert as the wabbit.

This is the Boondocks teaser that's been running during Adult Swim:

"Jesus is black, Ronald Reagan is the devil and the government is lying about 9/11."
The "N" word is used liberally in each episode, so if you are afraid of That Black Planet, do not go swimming in these waters. But if you're curious for more info, check out this article in the New York Times on McGruder's hot new toon, which at $400,000 per episode, is the most expensive licensing fee the Cartoon Network has ever paid.

Tags:


Clicks to Miles Davis catalog, but explore as you like

3 Comments:

Blogger Berry said...

Great minds think alike...I can't wait to see this either. I just briefly mentioned Aaron in my blog tonight. This morning CBS Sunday Morning did a piece with him. On my blog I have a direct link to a Newsweek story on him. Click on Aaron's name. That cat is probably the smartest brother around.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Viqi French said...

hey berry,
darnit. i try never to miss cbs' sunday morning, but didn't catch aaron mcgruder yesterday. i'll check your blog for the newsweek link. i'm hyped about the boondocks.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Viqi French said...

hey berry,
darnit. i try never to miss cbs' sunday morning, but didn't catch aaron mcgruder yesterday. i'll check your blog for the newsweek link. i'm hyped about the boondocks.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home