Wednesday, December 14




Syriana: It ain't easy being greasy

I saw the George Clooney film Syriana a few days ago and deliberately haven't blogged about it. I just don't know what to say about it. I'm still completely unsure how I felt about it. So I'll keep writing now, stream of consciousness style, and see where I land.

Despite the movie being about one of my favorite subjects -- the marriage between big oil and politics and war -- I didn't leave the theater with these goodies top of mind. I left feeling on sensory overload. Because my overall impression was the movie was just too busy and crowded with characters. It had almost an uber montage style, with lots of longish, muscular vignettes strung together featuring the lives of four different Middle East-related players.

I've heard that one critic joked about needing a flow chart to keep up with Syriana. Agree. I don't want to work that hard when I'm taking in a flick. Gimme a cheat sheet next time, Mr. Clooney. Take it easy on my brain. I didn't miss the point, and there were excellent points made. I'm just having a hard time mentally embracing this octopus, whose many arms flailed non-stop.

That gripe aside, it was an important film. Syriana boldly goes where few flicks go on the geopolitical landscape. The film's replete with powerful, intimate glimpses into the lives and ideology of filthy rich oil sheiks, greasy corporate titans, the slick lawyers who represent them, and the CIA operative they'd all like to fry.

If you like the subject matter, then definitely go see. Just wear a hard hat. You will enter a dangerous and intriguing world, one where heavy mental lifting is job #1.


Clicks to Miles Davis catalog, but explore as you like

8 Comments:

Blogger obifromsouthlondon said...

clooney is definitely a left leaning capitalist lol. After "three kings" I try to catch anything he's in.

will check out the flick. thx

10:47 AM  
Blogger Viqi French said...

obi,

i didn't see "three kings" but will check it out on your recommendation. "syriana" is quite a bold, thought-provoking film. hopefully "kings" is a bit easier to digest, though.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous UDAMAN said...

"Three Kings" was embellished with nice colorful parts for Ice Cube and for Clooney...set during the Gulf War it satirized the fact that we are all capitalists when given the chance...

I will try to filter through Syriana for you soon...


UDAMAN
12/20/05

5:32 PM  
Blogger Lili said...

Three Kings was an excellent flick...I highly recommend it.

Just stopping by to say Happy Holidays. Hope this finds you well and enjoying the holidays.
Take care,
Lili

8:44 AM  
Blogger Berry said...

Happy holidays...you've disappeared :-( I'll check up on you next year.

9:26 AM  
Blogger obifromsouthlondon said...

hope you got some quality time and had a nice xmas

take care (did you get to see "three kings"?)

4:02 PM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

I kind of had the same feeling leaving the theater after I saw syriana.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous UDAMAN said...

Syriana was an overly ambitious attempt by a liberal media machine to package a message about the evils of "conservative capitalism".

Unfortunately for Looney Clooney, one of Hollywoods premier communist apologists, (re: "Good Night and Good Luck")this multilayered storyline is as tastless and appealing as week old lasagna.

Alas, too bad for the Hollywood liberal left: another several million wasted in a grandiose attempt to send a subliminal message from a failing industry.

UDAMAN
12/20/05

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home